Application style

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 calinutz

calinutz
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

Is there any way to make the compiled app run as a standard app on the iPhone? I mean, NOT in the browser.
Can I have the app be shown on the desktop of iPhone (as an icon)like any other app, and when started get rid of the header and footer of the browser? Or something like that?
Presenting the app in the browser is not very appealing to me since I need to develop apps that behave,look and feel like regular apps on the iPhone. And considering the small desktop of a phone, and the big controls needed, I find it annoying to be forced to have fixed headers and footers, imposed by a browser, when that space could be used for the app itself.

#2 ielite

ielite
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

calinutz, SMS supports PhneGap

http://phonegap.com/

So, when your down creating your application for the browser, you submit it to phonegap to convert it to what you need!

#3 ielite

ielite
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

sorry about he spelling, its too darn early!

SMS supports PhoneGap

http://phonegap.com/

So, when your done creating your application for the browser, you submit it to phonegap to convert it to what you need!

#4 Cipher Diaz

Cipher Diaz
  • Administrators
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Smart allows you to write mobile apps using object pascal rather than javascript. So the same rules apply as when you would use jqtouch or Apple's own dashcode to do the job.
In order to turn your compiled javascript app - into a compiled iOS or Android app, you have to use phonegap.

Phonegap takes you html + js code and includes it as a resource file in a .exe stub. When this stub executes it creates a browser, sets it in fullscreen - and you html is loaded. It also disables some of the security stuff (like filesystem access and size of local storage and db access).

You can do exactly the same with a smart app as you would do with something created by Adobe dreamweaver -- except that you can use object pascal instead. Some javascript knowledge is a bonus, but you dont have to be an expert in the field. A few ASM sections with javascript snippets can get you a long way.
You can also check out the generates code by smart and learn from that.

Fullscreen:
1. When you open a smart app on your phone, select "add shortcut" and place the shortcut on the "desktop" of your iphone or ipad.

2. If you have checked the option "generate manifest file" and "serve manifest file " in the project options -- your app will be installed when you add a shortcut to it (see apple docs).

When you start the shortcut from the phone screen- it opens fullscreen, without any adress header or footer.

Note: When testing, i find it better to not serve the manifest, since that installs your app in the browser cache (and must be manually deleted). Just add a shortcut to the smart IP (shown in the browser window), and start that from your iphone or ipad -- it will then open in fullscreen.

You can fine-tune how the app behaves in the index.html file from within smart.
See the "meta" tags which define format detection, viewport etc..

#5 calinutz

calinutz
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

Thanks. I am extremely new to mobile programming, and many tools out there are unknown to me.

#6 skamradt

skamradt
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

If you want to run in "airplane mode" you can also carefully package your entire application into a data url (http://dataurl.net/#about), then craft an instruction page that loads the data url into the browser. Once its there the user can save it to the home screen and it will operate as if it was a native application without requiring internet access. Keep in mind that if you take this approach, then all resources will need to be converted to data urls also and embedded in the html page or the app will need internet access to run.

This mode works best for one-off or custom applications that do not need to be deployed via the app store.

#7 ielite

ielite
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

skamradt - thanks for sharing!

#8 Cipher Diaz

Cipher Diaz
  • Administrators
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

PS: In the "tools" menu you have a wizard for turning an image into a URL, just like the dataurl website does. This is perfect if you want your app to load quickly and dont want to wait for external images.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users