#2 BobLawrence

BobLawrence
  • Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBeaver Bank Nova Scotia Canada

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:56 AM

@Shane Holmes

re: When is the next contest?

You must be hoping for the second prize :)

#3 ielite

ielite
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

He he he - or 3rd

#4 Cipher Diaz

Cipher Diaz
  • Administrators
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

That is a good question! I arranged a "Raspberry PI 2" contest last summer on component writing, but sadly few people seem eager to write their own components, so we had to pospone it.

BUT, it's a good idea to hold another compo! Let me think up something cool and we'll get on it soon!

#5 ielite

ielite
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:14 PM

I suggested a long while back to do a non-graphics contest.  e.g. a mobile utility app or something other than a game or graphics contest like in the past.

thanks

#6 BobLawrence

BobLawrence
  • Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBeaver Bank Nova Scotia Canada

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:17 PM

re:Raspberry PI 2" contest last summer on component writing

It's not that we are non interested but I think that allot of us are still learning and struggling with the basic concepts of SMS . At least I am. Writing components  is something to look forward to but I have to learn the basics first. Maybe someone can do a detailed tutorial on how to make a basic component and make a contest on how it can be enhanced.

:)

#7 ielite

ielite
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:52 PM

Like any other company, the priority is on new features and upgrades then on technical documentation, demos, and how-tos.

I'm still waiting for update to Smart Book 

I think the community should spend more time sharing.  Maybe SMS administrators can create a Forum topic where we can share applications, tips and tricks, etc. that we have learned along the way. Maybe it can be broken down into topics such as Mobile Apps, Games, graphics, Browser Apps, etc

#8 Cipher Diaz

Cipher Diaz
  • Administrators
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:05 AM

re:Raspberry PI 2" contest last summer on component writing

It's not that we are non interested but I think that allot of us are still learning and struggling with the basic concepts of SMS . At least I am. Writing components  is something to look forward to but I have to learn the basics first. Maybe someone can do a detailed tutorial on how to make a basic component and make a contest on how it can be enhanced.

:)

The easiest way to learn how to make components is to look at the RTL files. Start with something simple, like TW3Panel, then have a look at TW3Label and so on.

A simple component is just:

type

TMyComponent = class(TW3CustomControl)

protected

procedure InitializeObject;Override;

procedure FinalizeObject;Override;

procedure Resize;Override;

end;

Next, to style it, add a style with the same name as the component to the CSS files, like this:

.TMyComponent {

background: #FF00FF;

}

And thats essentiallty it.

To make it do something you populate it with child objects (or set the events, override the event handlers etc), and make use of the beginUpdate() / endUpdate() mechanisms (together with AddComponentState) to avoid updating the view to much.

If you have made components with Delphi before, some of these things should be familiar.

Again, the best way to learn is by looking at the components in the RTL.

What "basic concepts" of SMS are you struggling with?

#9 ielite

ielite
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

Can you start a Custom Controls Forum topic where members can share controls and tips ?

#10 Cipher Diaz

Cipher Diaz
  • Administrators
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:41 PM

Again a nice idea! Ill talk to the webmaster if he can get that going!
Cant guarante anything, but i do like the idea. Kinda like what Blitzbasic used to have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users