Sign in to follow this  
MarcusF

Documentation

I'm evaluating SMS and really would like to use it, but as I'm looking around I see a lack of official documentation.

The community has picked up a lot of slack it seems, but are there plans on releasing proper documentation?

The best example I've seen is the layout manager, which on the website says "[Content to be added]" and links to community posts written in 2012.

I did see a couple of books in progress, but I assume they won't be free for SMS licensees.

Yes this is something we are dealing with right now.

There was a series of unfortunate sircumstances that affected the initial momentum of Smart Mobile Studio. Most notably that I broke my spine in two places and was unable to work for nearly two years. This naturally had an impact on the tech and other members had to pick up my payload, leaving docs as a lower priority than fixing bugs and getting new tech into the releases.

But yes. When the new RTL which we are working on right now (as I type actually) is finalized, then the book will be finished and released as well.

At the same time we are looking at completing our wiki which will be en-par with other systems, such as mono etc.

So we are indeed not blind to these facts :)

I'm looking at SMS again, but the layout manager page still has the same text as it did a year ago.

The best source for info seems to be Primoz book, but that looks like it's been in development since 2012 and still not finished, and of course it's not free.

The demos all seem to be the same as was there a year ago, almost all graphic/game focus, not much in the way of applications/websites.

Am I wrong?

Looking at the results of the Github survey this year :

https://www.infoq.com/news/2017/06/github-survey-open-source

"Detailing on documentation, 93% of the respondents complained that most of the documentation (of open source projects) is incomplete or outdated. Also, 60% of them say they never or seldom write any documentation. Being such a pervasive problem, GitHub recommends users to help project maintainers by fixing, updating or adding documentation when they run into issues."

And as soon as SMS becomes a non-commercial open source project, I might do that.

In non-SMS stuff I've released several open source projects, added documentation, done bugfixes for other projects, etc.

But for someone else's commercial software?

Nope, if I'm paying for it, I shouldn't have to write the docs for it.

Hey,

I'm sorry the wiki hasn't been fully updated till then. But I can promise this is one of the next battlefields we'll be moving to. As of now, we are busy finishing the 3.0 version for the release in the next few months. After it, we'll redo plenty of web stuff, including the Wiki, but also this forum will get an update.

Just stay tuned, we'll inform you about the new stuff once we're paying attention on it. :)

I'll check back in a few months, would like to take it out for a spin but with no Mac version, lacking docs, old/non-application demos, external payment system, and its own forum not built in it.. It'll take some convincing.

Thank you for your feedback, but there must have been a typo in my late-night reply.

What I wanted to say was: "weeks". I am really sorry for this.

As for the points you mentioned: Could you please tell us which problems you have encountered with our payment system?

The application demos are being fixed at the moment and will be fully-functional at the release version. Some still need to be adjusted or re-written, but we're on it.

The docs are something we'll be addressing once the actual release is done.

Unfortunately, there hasn't ever been a Mac version of SMS and there won't be one in the close future. This is not exclusively related to us, it's also a point that both the IDE and the Smart Pascal compiler wouldn't be able to run on a system different from Windows because some of the frameworks and libs it is using do not support OS/X. There might be found a way in the future, but it's not our current main business.

About the forum, I do not know what exactly you mean, could you please give us some details?

Please also keep in mind that we're continuously updating the Alpha which means that you can always get the latest stable release by running the SmartUpdate.exe file in your SMS Alpha directory. Once the final 3.0 has been released we'll of course offer a professional setup as used to.

Dennis, sure I can explain what I'm talking about.

I haven't encountered any problems with your payment system because I haven't used it, but there are plenty of people having issues and talking about it on this forum, that brings up two things.

First is that you haven't built your own ordering system OR your own forum, despite SMS being a web application development tool.

The demos are neat as pieces, but I'm interested in productivity creating websites and web applications that scale, are easy to maintain and extend, but none of that is shown in the demos.

The documentation is incredibly lacking and has been for years, last year I asked about the docs and was told "It's coming soon, don't worry", but here we are a year later and it's all in the same state.

Thank you Marcus, and please excuse my inactivity. I has in hollidays and returned just now.

The problems with our payment system are exclusively related to renewing inactive subscriptions (as far as I am informed), and the case we're currently having an issue with is a very rare one. Normal customers should have no problem buying SMS, even now.

There are reasons we're using a foreign payment system. And they are of different natures. One being that we started using it years ago and just haven't seen a valid reason to dismiss it until now. It works fine for 99.99% of the customers, and offers individualized payment methods for any location on the planet. We decided to "outsource" this because we do not want to put unnecessarily much time into developing an own one if there exist plenty of good ones on the market already. Another reason is the legal aspect: We cannot offer a system ourselves which is compatible with the legal systems of every country, so we are leaving this all up to a company whose business this is. Instead, we put those hours into improving the IDE, RTL and offering the best possible support and assistance for our users. We're a very small team, and only one of us does this as a full-time activity at the moment. Which means we can't just put one whole working power into maintaining and developing an own payment system.

The same applies to the forums. With the only difference that there are real problems with it at the moment and we're already in the planning process of upgrading it to a newer software version in the very close future, once the 3.0 version has been released.

I can understand your disappointment about the demos, and I can only tell you what I've told others: We've went through a terrible and hard crisis in our team and the project in the recent years. It wasn't far away from being over, but for about a year now we've reorganized, purged and merged together and almost caught up completely. It will take a few more weeks, but we're doing our very best to be as fast and precise as possible to not letting you notice anything of what happened.

I hope I could answer your questions with the best possible information and I hope you give us the chance to become what you expect from us. We're working hard on it everyday. :)