node and meteor?

We are contemplating a business application that I feel may require node.js or meteor to really provide users with a great experience. I have only just started on my path to learning javascript jquery etc and will be relying initially on new hired staff. The question, will SMS be incorporating node and those advanced frameworks? I don’t see node in the road map although from memory it did come up in a thread some time ago.

PS: is new update on its way? What will be included? Events? Custom sized output windows?

Node.js is basically just a javascript engine running on the server, much like DWS or old ASP. It allows you to handle server requests using javascript rather than .net or some other scripting language. In conjunction with websockets, it's very interesting - but it has been hyped (as usual) into something it's really not.

As for jQuery, it is also equally hyped. As the name implies, it's basically just a query engine for the DOM and have little to do with user-friendlyness. It simplifies things for JS developers (e.g selecting all tags with some attrib, applying changes to a collection of tags etc..) where the HTML is seperate from the codebase. But they still have to code everything.

Smart does not suffer the same disposition. Since we use a component model, the html element (read: object "handle") is always known to our components. So we dont really need to query the DOM in order to apply styles or changes recursively. For pascal, thats just a matter of a for/next loop on the child controls.

The major difference is that smart created the HTML via javascript, rather than the other way around. This means that each component "knows" the direct reference to the html element - and thus we dont have to look for it. jQuery is basically an engine for "looking up things" and altering groups of elements in one-go. But behind the scenes it's just a for/next loop.

Im not sure what you mean with events? Do you mean server events? All smart components support events. You can easily connect to a node.js server, but you have to code the classes yourself right now - but all the basic stuff is already there.

Thanks for the full reply. I am only starting to realise how much I don't know yet.

With events I mean a button's onclick, or an edits onchange or keypress etc - more likely delphi so we can double click the "event" we need and write the code - that would speed up creating complex screens quite a bit.

That is a tricky question. As you probably know, we are aiming at replacing the current designer with a component package from Greatis Software. But this means a lot of work behind the scenes - so we have opted to take care of more critical stuff before we do that. Once the new designer is in, we will also finish the internal IDE-API (which will be exposed to scripting also btw) - and then events that are automatically added will also come.