AB

No news? What about SMS?

Hello,

I'm a bit worried about SmartMobileStudio future.

I have renewed by annual subscription, but the development seems very very very quite.

There is still a lot to do on SMS, both the IDE and the visual library, for instance.

How is the team going? Do you have enough time working on it?

From our customer side, it is difficult to invest time on a technology which is very promising, but seems not to be very active.

I spent months writing code targeting SMS, in addition to FPC and Delphi.

The logical part is almost finished, with proper regression tests.

The SMS compiler is a piece of art, really.

But I doubt I may use SMS IDE and components to build the apps, i.e. the UI consuming this logic...

Any news?

We are working and a new release should be ready VERY shortly. In fact, only two cases left in the ticket box for the update :)
These months have been hectic, with summer holidays taking a huge chunk of our time and also two members of the team has moved to new locations. Also we are preparing to push SMS to the next level - so if we have been quiet there are good reasons for it. But, we are not going anywhere and work is being done on a daily basis.

I run it in a VM. It's just minutes before i have to restart in order to get code insight(*) to work.

* I.e. Pressing Ctrl+Space after a dot.

Utterly annoying, had this worked it had been wonderful!

Think the best way not let smartmobilestudio (or even pascal at all) die is to open source dws=>javascript compiler+rtl, 

and ask money only for extended components and maybe for IDE in some cases.

I told about it some years ago - it stays true today, because a few developers in spare from work time just can't create concurrent system,

especially when many similar systems are under free licenses.

If you will do that (opensource), from me i guarantee to transfer in smart fully working and concurrent (sencha, telerik and ect) UI framework with set of real working components ((used in real app), bindings, mvc, in a period of few months.

It was developed mostly for fmx, but ready to transfer to smart and freepascal.

Sounds like an exciting and ambitious plan, but what about SMS now? Frankly, I have a version with many bugs, both in the released version and in the BETA version. Are we to have to wait another couple months for these to be fixed?  Why wouldn't this info be posted on this smartmobilestudio website instead of his personal blog? Why is everyone's questions going unanswered on the SMS forum - especially since admins have been active on this forum as of yesterday. 

My blog has functioned as, well, my personal development blog.

This is scheduled to be separated this month, so from now on all things SMS will occur on the main website (here).

As for news, where to begin!

First, we have established a company, a proper stock based company.

Secondly we are seeking investors for the company, which takes up a lot of our time.

And third we have two updates in the pipeline.

The second update represents a huge change to the RTL, not code-breaking stuff, but a huge re-organisation for better separation between nodeJS and purely browser based code. We want to be able to use as much as possible under Nodejs without problems.

And then there is the IOT project, which i havent written so much about yet.

Essentially a customized Linux distro running on ARM which boots directly into WebKit and runs your applications in KIOSK mode.

This is powered by a nodeJS service layer giving you full access to Linux from Smart Mobile Studio.

But this is more interesting for IOT development and Raspbery PI "makerbots" so to speak.

And last but not least, our cloud ware, which i will write more about shortly in a full article, as it represents the future of SMS and opens up a whole new world for all of us.

But the details will have to wait until after the next update, which should be out this month.

The post made me write a (subjective) wish-list for 2016:

• Much, much better documentation of the compiler, the JS godegen and updates of the same
  • Extensive tutorial(s) for creating headers and pascal wrappers - ultimately a tool too
  • Better support for "tricking" code obfuscation, i.e writing JS libraries.
  • Integration into Visual Studio Code (or Brackets) with project management, smsc build and a plugin for codeinsight, errorinsight and all that.
  • A read-only support forum for non-registered users that registered users can use read-write. Moderated and watched by SMS-folks. This is important because we will use SMS "in our own way" and there needs to be a discussion about our needs that is open.

Asides:

If i'll still be using the IDE... ouch. I don't like it much but the code insight needs to work with some error insight. When code insight does not work it's very frustrating. And since it suffers from more than one bug it's very difficult to know if a restart fixes things or if there's an error above that renders it unable. I have been moping about this before. Sorry.

I'm aware that i could use the W3C headers and use SMS as a development tool for "pure" HTML5/CSS3 webapps/cordova-like stuff. Even for free without breaking the agreement. I could compile a code insight plugin for Visual Code (using DWScript open sources). But the support and updates of the compiler would be worth the Pro fee. Also project management things, IDL tool. This is not so much technical as markety-stuffy, i know. I just want to say that i'd like that out of the box. Would be cool.

Have a good new 2016!

/D

Im sorry, I hate to sound critical and all, but we didn't subscribe to your blog or Jon's,  we subscribed to SMS.

Not sure about anyone else, but I would expect my update news to come by either email or from the SMS website news page, not the personal blogs of theose involved in the company. How are we suppose to know who is who and what their blogs are. What is your blog Cipher?   I just google "Cipher Diaz' + Blog and got nothing for immediate results.

I myself would love to get regular updates on SMS via email or the SMS website news page.

Again, sorry to sound critical. I DO LOVE THE PRODUCT!

Shane

My blog has functioned as, well, my personal development blog.

This is scheduled to be separated this month, so from now on all things SMS will occur on the main website (here).

As for news, where to begin!

First, we have established a company, a proper stock based company.

Secondly we are seeking investors for the company, which takes up a lot of our time.

And third we have two updates in the pipeline.

@Shane Holmes

re:Im sorry, I hate to sound critical and all, but we didn't subscribe to your blog or Jon's,  we subscribed to SMS.

He stated that it will be changed to the SMS website this month in this line "This is scheduled to be separated this month, so from now on all things SMS will occur on the main website (here)."

I am considering using and upgrading SMS for a new project (web application) using kendo ui for the UI layer and SMS for javascript part. Since this would be new project, I need to consider using SMS or looking for another technologie (typescript). For me, statically compiled code is very important.

So what is the status of SMS? The Beta phase started almost a year ago (15.04.2015). Is it save to use it for new projects? If I find bugs, how long would it take to be fixed?