Components without js

• Moderators

I came across the following site http://youmightnotneedjs.com/

which features some great components built with only css and html, and no js in sight.

Because these components are stand-alone, not part of some massive monolithic library (and no confusing javascript either), it's easy to use them in visual projects.

One way of doing this is to just put a w3panel on a form and put the html-code in the innerhtml attribute of the panel

then add the css code to the 'custom CSS' file (or alternatively add all css code in code using the 'browserapi.Document.styleSheets[0].insertRule' syntax)

The first component on the 'you might not need js' website is a slider which looks like this when used in a SMS project

component code here

Hi Nico,

What does this do in your TSlider's InitializeObject method?

Panel1.CSSClasses.Clear;
Panel1.CSSClasses.Add('slide');

I have heard of assigning styles through the StyleClass property, but never seen it done that way.

I came across the following site http://youmightnotneedjs.com/

which features some great components built with only css and html, and no js in sight.

Because these components are stand-alone, not part of some massive monolithic library (and no confusing javascript either), it's easy to use them in visual projects.

One way of doing this is to just put a w3panel on a form and put the html-code in the innerhtml attribute of the panel

then add the css code to the 'custom CSS' file (or alternatively add all css code in code using the 'browserapi.Document.styleSheets[0].insertRule' syntax)

The first component on the 'you might not need js' website is a slider which looks like this when used in a SMS project

component code here

• Moderators

the CSSClasses.Add procedure ends up being processed by 'w3_AddClass(THandle; String);' in the SmartCL.System unit

setting the styleclass attrib ends up being processed by 'w3_setAttrib(THandle; String;)' in the same unit

in this case the effects are the same but not sure at the moment where in the rtl the code is which manages that

• Moderators

The difference is that setting the styleClass attribute sets the link to a single css class, while the cssClasses.Add mechanism allows for a cascade of styles, ie 

cssClasses.add(class1 class2 class3)

or

cssClasses.Add(class1);

cssClasses.Add(class2);

etc

when more than 1 css class is assigned, the browser merges these classes (cascades) 

interesting......merges?   So a control can have two styles applied at the same time?   Wonder what the precedence is? i.e. what overrides what when the two are applied.

i.e.

.class1{
background-color: blue;
}

.class2{
background-color: red;
}

does the color then become red?

background-color: red;

• Moderators

see f.i. here  :

Example:

<div class="baz bar foo">

.foo {
color: blue;
border: 1px solid green;
}

.bar {
color: black;
border-color: orange;
}

.baz {
color: red;
margin: 10em;
}

All three classes are applied to the element. First, .foo, then .bar, then .baz. The element will have the following properties, which are the result of merging the above rules:

color: red; # from .baz
border-color: orange; # from .bar
border-style: solid; # from .foo
border-width: 1px; # from .foo
margin: 10em; # from .baz

(Note that rule precedence is actually a little more complex than that and depends on the specificity of the selector, but the above goes for equally specific selectors.)