Sign in to follow this  
Czar

prevent onscreen "virtual keyboard" on mobile/tablet?

On a tablet it seems that setting focus to an editbox brings up the tablet's virtual keyboard.

Is there a way to suppress that behaviour? I am expecting a numeric response from the user and I have my own "calculator pad" on the screen so the virtual keyboard is redundant.

So the question how to prevent the virtual keyboard activating?

not sure if this is exactly what you want, but seems to do what you're after reading your description

w3_setAttrib(W3EditBox1.Handle, 'onfocus', 'blur()');

you might want to make this conditional to device detection

the normal click event still works

@Nico - thanks

It didn't work in my case.

What I have done is remove setfocus in the case of tablets. This prevents virtual keyboard appearing. However, if the user touched the editbox (i.e, setting focus) the keyboard appears.

I quickly tested this on android mobile, where it prevents the virtual keyboard from appearing, even after touching the editbox.

as native keyboards are handled by the os directly, there may be differences between os-types, os-versions and maybe even browsers

what kind of tablets are you targeting ?

if everything fails you could always put a transparent W3Panel on top ...

Interesting, the beta RTL I am using does not prevent me clicking into any of the three editboxes. The Beta RTL behaves completely different than the current stable release of SMS. I will make a point of revisiting when the next stable release comes out.

I decided to drop the so called outcoming new RTL, but anyway I suspect the TW3CustomControls is using tabIndex everywhere 

w3_setAttrib(self.handle,'tabindex',0); I don't know maybe disabling the tabbing to input fields ('tabindex', '-1') could help I guess.