gumroad sucks!

Trying to purchase through gumroad is irritating to say the least.

The purchase interface is convoluted to use and you cannot access the cart once the dialog box is closed. When I try to purchase I have to set up a gumroad account (i already have one). Then when you click the purchase button I get a message that the account wasn't processed and payment didn't work.

I have a strong dislike for gumroad as I have issues with them in the past especially trying to get refunds. Gumroad is very frustrating, is there not a smoother easier shop that you could go through?

In the meantime I would like to purchase two pro licenses but I am getting no where.

• Administrators

Yeah. I agree that Gumroad was way soother back when we first started to use it.

But I don't share your experiences to the extent you're describing.

(still: That doesn't mean that we won't have a look at other solutions. I can ensure you that.)

---

5 minutes later:

---

I've been playing with this in various situations, and I see that the main problem with the overlay interface is new purchases for existing accounts. (Normally, the subscription would just run, and the management of the subscription would happen on the gumroad-page, not the smart-page).

For brand new users, it should be simple enough to just hit the Gumroad-button and click "Subscribe". When ready to pay, just hit the "Pay"-button and add account- and card/paypal-information. (I have NO idea why your attempt was refused. Perhaps because there already was an account on the e-mailadress, og perhaps you just ran into some arbitrary security-suff in the VISA-world. I have no idea, and I totally agree that that's not good).

For existing users, you need to be logged on to gumroad. There are two ways to do this:

1) Goto gumroad.com and log in. (The login will be remembered when you move on to the smart store and add items to the basket).

2) It is possible to log on directly from the smart site as well. But you must have an item in the basket to log in, and this item disappears once you log in. (And that is very stupid for sure). One you add an item to the basket, you'll also see the gumroad login-icon next to the basket count item (top right). Click this icon and "log in".

When you're logged in, click the button for the edition you want, and then click "Subscribe". (Do that twice in your case).

The basket count will increase as you add items to the basket.

Click "Pay", and you'll see that you wont be requested to create a new account. (You'll see your logged in e-mail instead).

The card-info must always be entered when using Gumroad (afaik), due to security reasons, they don't keep such information along with your account. They just use it for each transaction.

I definitely see that it is easy to get lost here, particularly when you're not following the mainstream purchase flow.

(That's one of the drawback with creating stuff dead simple).

We will have a look at alternative options.

We have already some experience with Stripe, and that's definitely a good candidate.

Sorry for the inconvenience you have had in this matter.

• Administrators

Yeah. Sure it is easy to implement Paypal and Stripe etc. It was easy to implement Gumroad too. The time consuming part was to configure it to be as smooth as possible, and test that it actually work as intended.

The main problem with moving to another solution, is that we need to transfer all the existing customers and all the recurring subscriptions. (I don't see it as very smart to have multiple solutions simultaneously).

And, you know, once you need to move millions of records, it's a process that you just don't jump right into ;-)

It's easy to implement things like PayPal and Stripe, it might even be a good demo for SMS, creating a real live business application (Order system with payment processing).

• 2 weeks later...

The failure appears to be with Gumroad. Here are the images of the process using a email address that already exists on gumroad.

I ended up using a different email address and then it kind-of worked. Kind-of because I tried purchasing two pro licenses and it wouldn't allow me to purchase the second one - message was you have already tried to purchase that product. To be honest I believe you need a simpler cleaner solution. Gumroad is difficult to deal with as I found out when I queried a payment - took three weeks to resolve. And I don't like that the "subscription" renews without warning.

purch1.jpg

purch2.jpg

purch3.jpg