Sign in to follow this  
IElite

Yikes!!!

@Igor Savkic My intuition is that this will fold.  It seems all the team members are only part of this as a secondary project to what they are actually involved in. 

One only has to look at the history of this site. On this forum, it's the same 4 or 5 people who actively use the product. Hardly any team members ACTIVELY use the forum to answer questions (aside from @jarto & @lennart ) and when they do, it seems to be very selective. I have, I don't know, 4 questions, that no one has touched except @lynkfs who I am sure isnt a team member (maybe I'm wrong).  There seems to be no marketing, social networking, or articles being written (except when Jon writes them and posts them on his personal page).  They haven't done ANY new documentation for 3.0 (and the old was never completed either). The book that was started was never finished. The team member that started it said that his other project was more important.

In the overall scheme of things, the product (as great as it is), never did live up to its name. It really is not a tool for creating applications for smartphones. It has a LONG way to go to be able to be known for that. I mean, it can do that, but NOT as EASY as the web page portrays it. However, It is a great tool for creating websites (that need a lot of logic and functionality that are too hard to program from NON-JAVASCRIPT experts).

It is a shame. I do hope that this project continues to live and improve, BUT,  i am not betting on it that it does.

I just read the news and I believe you are correct IELite. Without Jon's major input the project feels like it will fold. Jarto is the only other member that I am aware of. If the other shareholder's don't show some significant leadership then it will flounder. Personally I hope it doesn't disappear and perhaps a better solution would be to opensource everything.

SMS is a product we use everyday and it fits very well into part of our development requirements. Shame to see it end.

I'm sad to see Jon leave his baby like this, but I do respect his decision.

What I can say is, that SMS is not dying here. I've been waiting a few weeks already to push a new update, but have not been able to get any answers from Jon, if he'd also want to include some changes.

I believe things look worse to you guys than they really are. A lot of RTL work and especially bug fixes was done by me during the last year and almost all the IDE improvements and bug fixes by Primoz. Jon did pretty much all the NodeJS work, so we'll miss him most there.

If I look at this optimistically, Jon's donating his shares to two young and talented Delphi programmers is a very nice thing and may give them a possibility to spend more time on SMS.

But hey, hang on there and lets hope that this divorce will not be too ugly.

4 minutes ago, jarto said:

I'm sad to see Jon leave his baby like this, but I do respect his decision.

What I can say is, that SMS is not dying here. I've been waiting a few weeks already to push a new update, but have not been able to get any answers from Jon, if he'd also want to include some changes.

I believe things look worse to you guys than they really are. A lot of RTL work and especially bug fixes was done by me during the last year and almost all the IDE improvements and bug fixes by Primoz. Jon did pretty much all the NodeJS work, so we'll miss him most there.

If I look at this optimistically, Jon's donating his shares to two young and talented Delphi programmers is a very nice thing and may give them a possibility to spend more time on SMS.

But hey, hang on there and lets hope that this divorce will not be too ugly.

AWESOME Thanks for the Update

I'm working on a project with SMS and have a couple more planned. I'm looking forward to the next update. I also expect to renew my subscription, which I think ends soon.

Just saying.

Also, if you need any help from the hoi polloi, let me know.

-David

Pity Jon quit from Smart but I'm sure he has made the choice he did in his best interests.

I would like to say thank you to Jon for the huge investment he made in developing Smart Mobile Studio and the support and r&d of same.
I hitched along since version 0.x and have enjoyed it ever since.

Warm regards

8 hours ago, DavidRM said:

I'm working on a project with SMS and have a couple more planned. I'm looking forward to the next update. I also expect to renew my subscription, which I think ends soon.

Just saying.

Also, if you need any help from the hoi polloi, let me know.

-David

Definitely, thank you. Guys, I really appreciate the community we have here and will continue to do my best to help you and to develop SMS. And if any of you want to contribute or take on a role, don't hesitate to contact me.

22 hours ago, shakaworld said:

How soon do you believe the next update will be up - thanks

My plan is to do it today. I will post when it's done.

Edit: It's already available in the master-channel on SmartUpdate. A real setup will also be available today.