Sign in to follow this  
IElite

IDE & Documentation

3,0 RTL update has come and gone....there have been periodic updates to this and most likely will continue to be.

Is there still a IDE update in the near future? Do you have a time frame?

Is there a revised documentation update in the near future? Do you have a time frame - Particularly documentation on the new 3.0 RTL?

Keep up the good Work!

3.0 actually was not only about the RTL. The IDE also got quite a number of improvements and especially bug fixes. When it comes to the IDE, we'll keep on fixing and improving it when issues pop up.

We'll be able to improve documentation on Q2/2019.

RTL development will continue constantly. We'll publish everything fast on the Development-channel and push a version out about once a month.

@jarto

Well, one of the biggest issues for me was renaming files in the Project Manager. I brought this up many moons ago.

e.g. When I right click on a form under "Forms" in the Project Manager and choose "Rename"

After renaming it, I get a "Argument out of Range" error

This does not happen on just my desktop. It also happens on my Laptop, and on my desktop at work

So, it can't be device specific

Furthermore, if this is the form1 created when I created the new project, and I rename it, if look at the forms unit (code), it will have only changed the name in the first line. None of the other lines where the form name exists has changed.

If I add a new form, and then rename it, it renames the form name throughout the whole unit. Except this commented out line

"{ TForm1 }"

I concur renaming a project is buggy.

I would also love to be able to add a search path for units. At the moment we have to create a symlink inside the RTL folder to a network folder to store our common units. However, it would be much nicer if we could add a path to the IDE which is read when the RTL units are loaded.

It would also be very excellent if when you go "open" it opens the last folder you were in rather than the SMS folder. We keep our projects on a network drive and it takes a significant number of clicks to take us back to the folder where are working.

@Czar

Yes!

"It would also be very excellent if when you go "open" it opens the last folder you were in rather than the SMS folder. We keep our projects on a network drive and it takes a significant number of clicks to take us back to the folder where are working."

1.)

If you press F12, you can switch back and forth between the form's unit code and the form. 
If you right click on a form in the project manager and choose "View source", nothing happens if the actual form (and not it's unit) is displayed

2.)

The items below are enabled in the Main Main> if You do NOT have debugging enabled, these do NOTHING but show a blank window.  Maybe disable them or display a message in the window to enable the debugger.

View
 Call Stack
 Call Scope
 Local Variables
 Debugger Protocol Log

In addition, maybe there should be icons for these to the right of all the debugging icons

On 11/28/2018 at 6:23 PM, IElite said:

@jarto

Well, one of the biggest issues for me was renaming files in the Project Manager. I brought this up many moons ago.

e.g. When I right click on a form under "Forms" in the Project Manager and choose "Rename"

After renaming it, I get a "Argument out of Range" error

This does not happen on just my desktop. It also happens on my Laptop, and on my desktop at work

So, it can't be device specific

Furthermore, if this is the form1 created when I created the new project, and I rename it, if look at the forms unit (code), it will have only changed the name in the first line. None of the other lines where the form name exists has changed.

If I add a new form, and then rename it, it renames the form name throughout the whole unit. Except this commented out line

"{ TForm1 }"

These are now fixed. The "Argument out of Range" -error was because of a bug in the Virtual Treeview-component we use.

The partial renaming of Form1 was more interesting. It actually happens because Form1 was missing in the project's uses-clauses. I've updated the template for new projects so that it will be included in new projects. For older projects, make sure to add it yourself:

uses SmartCL.System, Unit1, Form1; //<<<<<<<<<< Add Form1 if it's missing

{$IFDEF SMART_INTERNAL_HANDLE_EXCEPTIONS}
try
{$ENDIF}
  var Application := TApplication.Create;
  Application.RunApp;
{$IFDEF SMART_INTERNAL_HANDLE_EXCEPTIONS}
except
  on e: Exception do
    ShowMessage(e.Message);
end;
{$ENDIF}

The Development-channel is updated now as well.

@IElite Thanks, gonna continue there then.

Edit: The Unit renaming problem happens if the unit is not in the project's uses clauses of in the interface part of uses-clauses on other forms/units. I've fixed this but I still need to discuss the fix with within the team and test it properly.