Sign in to follow this  
jarto

Beware of box shadows!

I have been working on a new TW3StringGrid for Smart Mobile Studio. The original plan was to include it in 3.0, but there was a problem: It was slow on iOS. So, ever since the release, I've tried to crack this problem. How can Javascript that works beautifully on every other platform and browser be absolutely horrible on iOS? It was extremely fast on desktop browsers and  Android tablets. On iOS it took seconds to draw the grid and scrolling it was close to unusable.

After countless of hours of testing and trying, I finally found the reason: Box shadows in CSS. For example:
.TW3ContainerBorder {
        border-radius:  <?pas=EdgeRounding?>;
  border-top:     1px solid rgba(250, 250, 250, 0.7);
  border-left:    1px solid rgba(250, 250, 250, 0.7);
  border-right:   1px solid rgba(240, 240, 240, 0.5);
  border-bottom:  1px solid rgba(240, 240, 240, 0.5);
  -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 1px 1px <?pas=GetRGBA(clDlgShadowBaseColor, 0.3)?>;
     -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 1px 1px <?pas=GetRGBA(clDlgShadowBaseColor, 0.3)?>;
      -ms-box-shadow: 0px 0px 1px 1px <?pas=GetRGBA(clDlgShadowBaseColor, 0.3)?>;
       -o-box-shadow: 0px 0px 1px 1px <?pas=GetRGBA(clDlgShadowBaseColor, 0.3)?>;
          box-shadow: 0px 0px 1px 1px <?pas=GetRGBA(clDlgShadowBaseColor, 0.3)?>;
}

.TW3FlatBorder {
        border-radius:  <?pas=EdgeRounding?>;
  border-top:     1px solid rgba(44, 44, 44, 0.8);
  border-left:    1px solid rgba(44, 44, 44, 0.8);
  border-right:   1px solid rgba(44, 44, 44, 0.8);
  border-bottom:  1px solid rgba(44, 44, 44, 0.8);
}

I had used a TW3ContainerBorder for every cell in the grid. Replacing them with a flat border improved performance dramatically on iOS. Something like an order of magnitude faster.

So if you've been having performance problems with iOS, that's most likely the reason.

I think box-shadow CSS will need 3 things to work on iOS:

1) Vendor Prefix on the box-shadow -webkit-box-shadow: {...}
2) Border Radius set, example to 1px border-radius: 1px 
3) disabled appearance -webkit-appearance: none; //--> remember to put it before box-shadow, not after